Best option for a pump?

Go down

Re: Best option for a pump?

Post  randi philleo on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

I did! I got it set up last weekend. This is what I purchased: Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC Magnetic Drive Pump. It's a lot quieter than the old March and I think it's got a lot better force. The thing I like is that the inlet and outlet are on the same side, which is a lot more convenient for my set up. Also, I've got to totally recommend drillspot.com. I ordered from them and had the pump in less than 48 hours (Standard Shipping!).

I just sent out the old pump, to see if it can be salvaged... if it can, there might be a reconditioned pump for sale on here. Hehe.

Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:20 am

Have you had a chance to try out your new pump yet? I'm in the market for a new one on my brew stand and was curious as to your thoughts on this one especially as it compares to the March? Thansk, Ryan
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 am

Good to know!

I did end up ordering a new pump. I actually went with a Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC.

I got tired of people on HBT telling me that I wasn't priming it right. One guy even asked to make sure I had the pump between the plate chiller and the kettle...

Not sure what part of "It's worked before" they didn't seem understand.

Anyways, here's to hoping the new one works well. Both the inlet and outlet are on the same side and unlike March, it can be run dry without damage.

Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  r@fink on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:48 pm

I've got that Chugger pump and it works nice. I use it with the input on the bottom and the output straight up. Hook up the hose from the source, let the fluid flow down, it forces the air up and out. Attach the out hose and "Bob's your uncle".
r@fink
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Do they make self-priming pumps?

I put a purge valve on and it helped for the first 2 brews, but after that its been a dud. I think the pump is going on me. I actually posted the same question on Homebrewtalk too, and I got a reply from WalterAtMarchPump Shocked

He seems pretty nice. He sent me this:

That 809 you have should handle it no problem. Its rated for 250*F liquids. I bet if anything you have some sugar crud on the shaft and its seizing the impeller. Easiest thing you can do is take the 4 Philips screws out that go through the pump head and separate the pump head from the motor. Then you can check if the motors ok electrically. Then you can open the pump head up and most likely will find the impeller tight on the shaft. Take a 17/64" drill bit and run it through the center of the impeller to open it up a bit. Also check to make sure there is a white or black thrust washer at the base of the shaft going into the pump head.

As for a recommendation...depends on what you have now....if you have the standard 809 then you can upgrade to the 809-HS If you need more pressure or volume then that then you can go with the big daddy AC-5B-MD pump that can do the same 250* temps but will give you 17gpm and can do 27' of head height.

So I guess I might give that a shot, and see how it goes.

Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

I've had really good luck with my March 809 pumps. Like any pump, priming is a necessary evil and can be somewhat of a trick to get going. I don't have a purge valve on either of mine (yet) and can get a good prime in pretty short order.

Also, depending on how 'dead' you pump is it can likely be rebuilt if you'd like. There are local places that will do that for you. If not Pump Systems in Dickinson can take care of it.

Good luck!
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

jeff sold me a chuggared (i think that is how you spell it) it works good jeff has it on his system to.
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Best option for a pump?

Post  randi philleo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:54 pm

My march pump just died... I never was very impressed with it. It's location was so finicky and the purge valve only seemed to help a bit. This pump is what I use to move from the boil kettle through the plate chiller. So, I'm looking to find a replacement fairly soon. I don't mind having to spend a little as long as it works well for the high heat wort.

So here's my question:

What's a good pump to buy? Any personal recommendations?

Any input is appreciated!

Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down