NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any cider makers?

2 posters

Go down

Any cider makers? Empty More cider

Post  Jon Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Pressed some more apples last week. Four new 5 gallon batches of cider being fermented by various Heart River Home Brewers members.
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Any cider makers? Empty Re:

Post  Jon Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I think I will bottle one batch and keg the other. If the batch I bottle needs sweetening, I plan to use lactose, so the sweetness remains after the yeast eat the priming sugar to make carbon dioxide. The other batch I will have more options if it goes in a keg...
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Any cider makers? Empty Re: Any cider makers?

Post  randi philleo Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am

Nice! That's a whole lot of apples. Do you have your own apple tree?

We did cider a few weeks ago the fast and cheap way. We bought 100% apple juice, used 4 gallons with the EC-118 yeast and let it go. We used the final gallon to back sweeten the cider at keg. We were looking for something low proof and easy drinking. It came out to about 4.2%. There's a few things I'd do different, but all in all, its a quick and easy cider. We did do two batches side by side, one of Mott's brand and the other of Indian Summer juice. The Mott's is not good. They're both 100% juice, but they must be a little different, the Mott's turned out a lot harsher and has a sulfuric smell that the Indian Summer did not.

Are you going to let your cider sit for 6 months? I hear patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to cider.

Cheers!
:cheers:
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Any cider makers? Empty Any cider makers?

Post  Jon Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Pressed about 15 gallons of apple juice last Saturday...10 gallons of which are now fermenting. Natural O.G. 1.047. Split into two 5 gallon batches. Adjusted one up to 1.050 with some light brown sugar and fermenting with Cote des Blancs yeast. The other batch left as is and fermenting with Premier Cuvee. This is my first attempt at hard cider.
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Any cider makers? Empty Re: Any cider makers?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum