Hoppy Halloween

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hoppy Halloween

Post  r@fink on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Hey, hey! Congrats to Jon on the certification, and Paul and Amy rocking the fresh hopped division! Nice job folks!
r@fink
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Congratulations Jon on your "certified" status! This was the second year I had attended the Hoppy Halloween event. Very organized and well run! In addition to the handmade medals, winners also received a number of prizes. Everyone who attended the banquet also received many door prize items. These include beer, grains, hops, clothing, cleaning products, books, brewing equipment and supplies etc. Many, many sponsors contribute a lot of merchandise for this event. Since it is a Halloween theme, there was also a costume contest. Very fun event! Thanks to all individuals in the Prairie Homebrewing Companions who made this a wonderful event!
Paul
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Gundberg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm

It was good to see you there Jon. I hoped to talk to you again before the end but I was busy and never got the chance.

Hoppy Halloween worked out pretty well this year. 533 entries from 30 states and 1 Canadian Province. Almost too many to judge so thanks to Jon for helping out but we could really use some additional judges from ND.

We did have some winners from ND. PHC members the Fargo/Moorhead area got several medals but in addition, Ryan Jilek from Dickinson won a bronze medal with his Strong Barleywine in the strong ale category (25 entries in that category) and Paul & Amy Ellenbecker won the gold in the 'Fresh Killed Hop' special category for wet hopped beers (15 entries in that category).

Neva Parker from White Labs gave her talk and then the following day helped out with a club brew of 20 gallons of Belgian Strong Ale which is being fermented with 4 different yeasts that she supplied. You can see her thoughts of the weekend on her blog here: http://yeastbuddy.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/fargo/
Dean Gundberg
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Hoppy Halloween

Post  Jon on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Had the opportunity to judge almost 40 beers at the Hoppy Halloween competition in Fargo this past weekend. I was paired-up with some excellent experienced judges from whom I learned a great deal. Also learned from Neva Parker of White Labs during her excellent presentation on yeast propagation. Points earned from judging at HH should put me into the "Certified" rank with BJCP.
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top