currently in the fermenter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: currently in the fermenter

Post  dkwandt on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 am

in primary: nothin Sad Embarassed Mad but brewing tomorrow night! Laughing

in secondary: 5 gallons imperial stout, 10 gallons of standard american lager
10 gallons strawberry blonde (split batch 4 ways), 5 gallons colaberation Alt Bier
5 gallons IPA

in kegs: 4 diferent pale ales
Hunters Amber

bottles: Scout's Vanilla Porter
octoberfest
Hunter's amber
Strawberry Fields (strawberry Blonde)
After the Hunt (belgian Wit)
Brandi's Brown Ale
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Philleo on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:47 am

Even though I posted this on the Muddy River Masher's forum, I figured I might as well make my rounds. Last night, I put my Belgian Dubbel Date into the fermenter, which is a Belgian Dubbel brewed with organic dates. For a while I had been trying to get back on some semblance of a brew schedule, as well as find my "roots," and this is the first step toward both. Anyway, she's bubbling away, so here's to hoping it turns out well!
Mike Philleo
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:32 am

in primary: 10 gallons of standard american lager
10 gallons blonde (will be strawberry blonde)
5 gallons colaberation Alt Bier
5 gallons IPA
in secondary: 5 gallons imperial stout

in kegs: 4 diferent pale ales
Hunters Amber

bottles: Scout's Vanilla Porter
octoberfest
Hunter's amber
Strawberry Fields (strawberry Blonde)
After the Hunt (belgian Wit)
Brandi's Brown Ale
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 am

finishing up (kegging tonight or tomorrow) 10 gallons of Pale Ale

and my Imperial stout has been fermenting since thursday night. while away on drill it has been in the tub (use the tub to remove big temp swings) i covered it with a trash bag. i did not want to hear from my wife that i had painted the ceiling black. i was concerned as the O.G. ended up being 1.112 it was only supposed to be 1.092. i had taken the preboil gravity it was .014 low so i added anothe 2.5 lbs of extract, well that should have been the right amount by my calculations it took my numbers through the roof. i added that amount to the original recipe and it said i would get that, so i must have made a mistake on my preboil (it might not have been cool enough) not sure what really happened. anyway i was very worried i would blow the top off. i have a tub full of dark water . my blow off worked and then it boiled over in to the tub (much easier to clean than a painted ceiling)
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:04 pm

typically it enhances flavors, and or characteristics, esspecially from the yeast, at least that seems to be what i notice from them.
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerS on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:01 pm

One episode of BrewingTV actually specifically talks about open versus closed fermentation. Very interesting stuff. A couple episodes later they did a taste-test on the brews and noted distinct variances.
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Philleo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:48 pm

With a notoriously vigorous yeast or a bigger beer, sometimes you just have to plan accordingly with your batch volume if you anticipate notable loss from a blow off tube. The truth of the matter is, carboy caps, bungs, whatever you use, won't stop your yeast from going Old Faithful on you. I had a blow off tube on a particularly active fermentation with the Belgian Ardennes yeast since it had rocketed the airlock off and had actually painted my ceiling and walls with yeast sludge. I ended up having to clip the hose to the oversized blow off bucket because the force of the CO2 made it buck like a bull in the rodeo. Translation? Hold on tight as your yeast takes you along for the ride.
Mike Philleo
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 pm

sure the caps could help, just put two blow off tubes on instead i one. but really i would concider for fermentations as active as you mentioned, using a say 3/4" ID blow off tube to an elevated catch basin, the gas wwould more easily escape and if it was levated say the hight of a carboy above some of the foam/fluid could beable to slide back down while CO2 passes by. it is worth trying, worste case it doesn't work.

randy i have heard of some brewers taping them down on very avtive fermentations, might that have helped?

i will be using a cap on thursday brewing of an imperial stout. (which i save the yeast from my porter and put it in a starter, with 9% abv this should be a very active fermentation!)i might try the double tube, elevated catch, but with such small tubes it won't really test my idea from above.

by the way i love the idea of an open fermentation, i will be doing some side by side trials this spring to see how different they can be.
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Do you feel with such an actively fermenting yeast as I posted in the video that those caps would help curtail some of my blowoff loss? I feel as though I would end up cleaning the ceiling as Randi stated. Other than a much larger fermenter or possibly (don't flame me too bad for suggesting) an open air fermentation. I think with that much activity and CO2 coming off of that fermentation it would be a bit tough for any wild nasties to permeate that barrier.

By the way my primaries are currently void of any future alcoholic beverage. There is much planning going on right now for future brews at the Jilek Brewhaus.
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:11 pm

I've used those carboy caps too. I really liked them... until I had a super active yeast and it flew off, leaving suds on the ceiling. Every since then, I've been a little gun shy.

I do think they're a nice way to go considering you can let the air out, without it having to burp up all the liquid too.

Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Dealer on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:40 am

I use the orange and burgandy vinyl caps for my carboys and they have two outlets...i put the airlock in one and keep the other covered unless its blowwing then hook up the hose to the other one and its only small hose and goes into glass of vodka...Jeff
Beer Dealer
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:34 am

pale ale fermenting away!

brewing an imperial stout thursday night, jeff and i are trying to clone Nogne imperial stout shooting for an OG around 1.090. (@$8.40 for a litter of Nogne is too much to drink all the time)

anyone who want to bring there system we would love the company, you can brew what ever you want! starting around 6:30 ish
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerS on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Wow! That's some angry yeast!
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Currently in fermentors at my brewery are a barleywine and an IPA. I surely understand the blow off tube concept. My barleywine which started life at around 1.100 and about 5.5 gallons. I made a huge yeast contribution to it and now it is down to about 1.024 and has blown off about 3 quarts of beer into my blow off bucket. I also have about 1 inch of yeast on the bottom of my carboy. My net beer amount is going to be pretty low compared to what I started with.

I wonder if there is a way to use a longer blow off hose or some other way to capture some of the head that is produced by the fermentation and allow it to settle and collect back in the fermenter? I have to see if I can find the video and convert it from my phone of the foam being pushed up the blow off tube. It was pretty amazing to watch! (Okay, got it converted)

ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

currently in the fermenter

Post  dkwandt on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am

i thought i would start a post of what is currently brewing in North Dakota!

I currently have my Amber (5 gallon) ferementing away. thank the lord for blow off tubes, ever scince i got the yeast spinner done fermentations have been very active! but that 1056 seems to be very active anyway it is teady at 67 degrees should be there through tillthe 24th i will then and my dry hops and do a a rest will be ready sunday after thanks giving, will keg it and stor it for an event for WWnH.

i hope to get going on an imperial stout and a pale ale i will be experimenting, going to do and 11 gallon batch, then break it up into four 2.75 batches, will use two different yeasts and two will get whirlpool hop additions, just want to compare and seen how the variables play out. also working on an american lager recipe.

hope to hear what every one else is brewing!
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum