NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cascadian/Dark IPA

5 posters

Go down

Cascadian/Dark IPA Empty Re: Cascadian/Dark IPA

Post  randi philleo Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing Deschutes at the Happy Harry's beer fest, but no, they don't get this far over. It's strange how much it varies. I had a conversation with a Dickinson Liquor store owner who was pretty bitter about the politics of the distributing.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:41 pm

they just don't give a crap about central and west ND, because the population, doesn't meet thier little minimums. it is political crap.

i am on a personal boycott of New Belgium for that reason. pisses me off cause i love 1554
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Gundberg Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:52 pm

randi philleo wrote:Can you get Deschutes over on the state line? I wonder if anyone would have a bottle of their 'Hop in the Dark'.
Deschutes is distributing in ND, they were at Happy Harry's Beer Fest and I have seen them in Fargo liquor stores. I wonder if they are not in the Bismarck/Mandan area for some reason, like New Belgium if I remember the discussion on the Masher's forum.

I have seen several of their beers on the shelves but I haven't seen Hop in the Dark for sale though.
Dean Gundberg
Dean Gundberg
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Heh, nice Dennis.

I had tried good Cascadian from Bozeman Brewing Co on tap at a pizza parlor out in Montana. It was roasty and malty, but not overly bitter. Okay, so it wasn't mine. Mike ordered it... I made the mistake of ordering some watered down Scotch Ale from another brewery, bleh.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:09 pm

i have yet to try one.

but i do love hearing people bitch about the name. let's call it

ameircan cascadian like dark blackish IPA ish Hoppy Beer!

doesn't that just roll of the tongue? Cascadian/Dark IPA 81612 lol! Cascadian/Dark IPA 90992
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:04 pm

That could be. I know it was pretty highly reviewed.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerS Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Wasn't Hop in the Dark recently named a Top 25 beer by Wine Enthusiast Magazine?
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Can you get Deschutes over on the state line? I wonder if anyone would have a bottle of their 'Hop in the Dark'.

randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerS Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

No worries! I didn't think you sounded like a jerk. In fact, this is exactly the kind of discussion the BrewingTV episode talks about. Some people get pretty worked up about the "official name" of the beer.
Thanks for the advice. If this snow hits and I can't make it to the relatives this weekend, I might just swing by Bridgeview to peruse their selection.
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyler Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Upon re-reading my post, I sound like a jerk. My apologies. I'm a little annoyed that the Pacific Northwest is claiming the creation of a style that has been around since before most of the breweries in the PNW that are brewing them. That's like California claiming hoppy red ales as California Native IPAs because they've brewed a lot of hoppy red ales lately (though hoppy red ales have been around a while and are not exclusive to California).

As far as beer buying goes, Fargo's got a really interesting situation. Happy Harry's has a bunch of interesting stuff and it seems like Bridgeview goes out of their way to get even "better" stuff and not have much overlap with Harry's. I always hit both when I'm in the Fargo area. You might be able to get something.

If I were to take a blind swing at what you might be able to find, I'd guess that you might be able to get one or two of the Deschutes versions of the Dark IPA style. I'm not sure how much of the Deschutes lineup you get (we get none of it here) but I know that you get at least a little of it; maybe you'll be able to find "Hop In The Dark Cascadian Dark Ale."

I've got a Black IPA recipe in the works, I'll send it your way if it turns out well. Of course, it might suck and get used as cooking liquid.
Tyler
Tyler
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerS Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:35 am

Alright, well maybe it wasn't "first" brewed in the Cascadian range, but that's where it certainly was popularized and refined. I really could care less, I guess, I just want to try the darn stuff!

Happy Harry's might have something since they generally have quite a wide variety of beer, but I'm hatching my bets on Bridgeview Liquors in Moorhead. They're the only place outside of the Twin Cities that supplies Surly beer, and they have the widest range of brews that I've ever seen in the area. May just have to pay them a visit... Cascadian/Dark IPA 90992
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyler Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 am

"Cascadian" refers to the area in the Pacific Northwest referred to as Cascadia.

The first documented example of this style of beer was brewed in Vermont in the mid 90s (meaning Cascadia can't claim it as their creation as they've been doing).

As far as commercial versions...maybe you'll still be able to find the Widmer W'10. It's pretty good, to be honest. Here's a link for a list on BeerAdvocate:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/175

Good luck finding 'em in Fargo; we don't have anything in Bismarck (though, you do have a significantly better selection in Fargo).
Tyler
Tyler
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Cascadian/Dark IPA Empty Cascadian/Dark IPA

Post  TylerS Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Cascadian IPA, Dark IPA, whatever, my question is, have you tried it?

I watched the Brewing TV episode where they discussed the debate on the name and, if nothing else, it sure did whet my whistle.

Since I don't brew (yet) does anyone know if there is a commercially available brew of the aforementioned variety?

As far as the debate itself, I do find it interesting. Personally, I like the stance behind calling it "Cascadian" vs. "Dark," because the word is that much more descriptive than merely "Dark." Also, it does sort of give credit where credit is due as far as localizing the area for which the recipe first was brewed.

Thoughts????
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum