NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Research and ... well what ya drinking?

4 posters

Go down

Research and ... well what ya drinking? Empty Re: Research and ... well what ya drinking?

Post  TylerS Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

All those beers sound tasty!

The wife and I managed to make it to Bridgeview Liquors on Saturday, and stocked up the sadly barren beer fridge.

We're bringing down a bunch of beer to try this weekend at the family Christmas party, but we also bought some for ourselves.

We got a 12-pack of Session beer by Full Sail. It's a pretty downright tasty Lager, though I do miss that last ounce since they're bottled in 11-oz. stubbies.

Erin was in complete euphoria after spotting a sixer of Heavy Handed IPA by Two Bros. Brewing. It was her favorite beer the last time we visited the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, and we were just as pleased with the bottled brew. Nice a hoppy, but also clean. I wouldn't consider it better than a Bell's Two-Hearted, but it's in my Top 10 IPAs.

For myself, I dabbled on the high-gravity (high price) side. A four pack of New Holland Brewing's Dragon's Milk was my jump into the experimental pool. Though I am an all-around beer lover, I tend to shy away from dark, heavy beers. At 9 ABV, it definitely was a bit harsh, but still was pleasently creamy and somewhat chocolately. Can't say I taste anything particular from the "oak-barrel aging process," but my palate really isn't refined enough to pick up on that sort of stuff.

As for the rest of our purchase, we got a pint of Lagunitas Little Sumpin,' a sixer of HopDevil Ale by Victory Brewing, and another sixer that I can't recall off the top of my head (sorry). We also found a bottle for my bro in law as a part of his Christmas present. When we went to Happy Gnome for his birthday a few weeks ago, I bought him a beer that was actually aged in Makers Mark barrels (his favorite whiskey). I did it as sort of a joke, since it was nearly 11 ABV, but it wound up being the beer of the night and everyone had to buy one. Lo and behold, we stumble upon the same stuff at Bridgeview: Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout. I'm excited to give it to him (and even more excited to steal a taste).
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Research and ... well what ya drinking? Empty Re: Research and ... well what ya drinking?

Post  randi philleo Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:49 am

Saturday night Mike and I split a few beers including an Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen. It was good. Very different from anything I've ever had before. The smoke in it was very real. I think my first comparison was to call it an 'early evening campfire' because the smoke seemed so young, as it didn't have that charred flavor to it. I'm glad we split it because there's a lot of flavor in that bottle. I'm pretty sure a rauchbier is next on Mike's list to brew.

The other beer we split was a Rogue Mocha Porter. It wasn't the first time we had this one, but it seemed like a good combination to have with the Rauchbier. If you haven't had the Mocha Porter, its a good balance of roast and malt with a nice chocolate sweetness. Its a good beer for the price. It didn't win the "Supreme Champion" at the 2005 International Beer Competition for nothing.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm

my "research" wasfinishing off my growler of breaver creek pale ale. this beer is outstanding! i hope my pale ale is as tasty. he gets amazing flavor and aroma from that noble hop!
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Research and ... well what ya drinking? Empty Research and ... well what ya drinking?

Post  ryanjilek Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:23 am

So who else is doing some Friday night research and development? Well at least research.

Kind of hitting two completely different worlds here but equally pleasant. The 90 minute is a really nice IIPA and very clean tasting. First time I've had this from Dogfish Head. I figured with all the hype I need to give them a try and picked up a few while in Colorado for Thanksgiving. I was very pleasantly surprised. There is a really nice balance with the hops and malt. At 9% it sure is an easy drinking beer.

The Orval is really nice however, my bottle unfortunately is a little past its prime. I've had this one in my cellar for a couple years more than I should have. There is a hint of brett going on in here that I don't think is supposed to be there (kind of horsey). Anyway it is off a bit from other Orval research I've done which usually is quite pleasant. It is still very good but just not like I would have expected.

So... what are you all 'researching'??

Research and ... well what ya drinking? 2010-110

Ryan
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum