NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oops, with pic

5 posters

Go down

oops, with pic Empty Re: oops, with pic

Post  dkwandt Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:35 am

well, i guess i had a possed batch. the yeast was very active made a mess, fermentation same thing, had to clean the ceiling, but i still had 10 gallons of brew. Saturday, i was down to 5 gallons. last thing i heard was tink as i set my glass carboy down. then it looked like "the shining" as my beautiful porter flooded into my basement storage floor. then after 2 hours of cleaning, i was still out 5 gallons. the plus side if there was one the basement smelled awesome!

my wifes first question, "did you try to suck it up off the floor?" my response "no, but i did consider it"
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  r@fink Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I once tilted my bottling bucket to get every drop, but went a little too far and poured a pint's worth on my wife's head as she was filling bottles. I've never loved her more that at that moment.
r@fink
r@fink
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 pm

i remember something about a club brew carboy hitting the ground shortly after i joined.

i haven't busted one of those yet, i am on my 3rd hydrometer though. and don't use glass thermometers anymore.

i have killed a yeast in a very similar manner as well.

i can't for get about getting preboil wort and it jumping the glass right onto my foot took my sock off as soon as i quit hopping around, and the skin came with. so i guess a little yeast loss is minor LOL Smile oops, with pic 668612
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Oh snap!

Sorry to hear about your carboy Ryan. Mike broke a carboy years back and sliced his hand open real good. Luckily he was just cleaning it, so there was no liquid loss. I did go and put carboy handles on everything after that.

Dennis, that's just the yeasts way of letting you know its good to go, lol.

I've had more than my fair share of 'oops'es. For example, I dropped a bucket fermenter while moving it to be bottled and spilled the whole thing over the garage. Also, I pitched yeast into something way to warm because I forgot to turn on the cold water to the plate chiller.

"Oops"es are just natures way of telling you "Don't do that again, silly!"
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 pm

oops, with pic 668612
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Well Dennis I've had that happen once on me when I was making a huge starter for my barleywine. The only good thing is at least you know it is active!!

I had a major oops yesterday myself. I was making a batch of mead only to have a carboy crack on me and watch a whole 6 gallon batch go down the drain!! That really sucked and there were some serious sorrows that needed drowning after that one.:drunk: The only (and I stress ONLY) good thing is that it was sitting in my deep sink when she cracked. I guess in 2011 I need to be more careful. So far not a good way to start the New Year!
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

oops, with pic Empty oops, with pic

Post  dkwandt Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 am

well i am sure i am not the only one, but here is what happens when you are not paying attention and your yeast starter is spinning away on you plate! oh, i also think you have to tell someone, how dissapointed you are the yeast you are using doesn't seem to be taking off like it should. then boom. please show me i am not the only bone head!
oops, with pic Oops10
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum