NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fermentation Control

5 posters

Go down

Fermentation Control Empty Re: Fermentation Control

Post  r@fink Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm

A closet in my basement stays 62 to 65 year around. Since I don't brew lagers, it works out nicely.
r@fink
r@fink
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Very innovative!

I've got a small lagerator at home, so I don't need anything for cooling, but I was debating something for warming. Sometimes to belgian yeasts really enjoy a heat boost. I was contemplating building a fermentation box, but I just don't know if I need it all that often.

Has anyone tried the Fermwrap Heaters?
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I picked up one of these this fall for my beers. Fermentation Heater I run it into my thermostatic temp control I built using a Ranco temperature control. It works very good and I'm able to dial it to whatever temp I want. The other nice thing about the Ranco controller is that it works great for heating or cooling so if I want to use it on a refrigerator for fermenting lagers, it does that job nicely as well.

I first tried to go the heating pad route but all the new versions I found have a built in automatic shutoff and I didn't want to keep pushing the button every couple of hours! Wink
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Fermentation Control Empty Fermentation temperature control

Post  Jon Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 pm

I ferment ales in my basement brewery during the winter where it stays 60F to 65F, mead in the basement during the summer when the basement is 65F to 70F and lagers in my keg cooler where I can set the temperature anywhere between 30F and ambient basement temperature.
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm

i have been using my bath tub to maintain ale temps. the water maintains temp better and takes way big swings. easy to keep temps 66-68. for the higher temps i use an interior closet with a heater, heater has a temp gauge, but using a temp controler taped to your carboy to turn heater on and of is more acurate. start lagers under stairs, then bumb space from friends (like the mashers) to get down to 34-35. the tub works really well for me. hope it helps
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Fermentation Control Empty Fermentation Control

Post  randi philleo Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 am

Just curious, how do you control you fermentation temperature? Is it by placement of your fermenter in your home? Do you have a Fermentation Chamber/Box/Freezer? Or a carboy/bucket belt? Do you use the old heating pad trick?

randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum