NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green thumb

+2
r@fink
randi philleo
6 posters

Go down

Green thumb Empty Re: Green thumb

Post  ryanjilek Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Well established Fuggles and Centennial. They seem to be doing just fine! Smile

Green thumb Fuggle10 Green thumb Centen10
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm

so far only my us, and kent goldings have poped up, not nearly your success. going to add a bit of nitrogen , should help them grow a bit faster. not expecting too much this year however.
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 am

Update:

For the first time ever, all of my rhizomes took off. Here's a really bad cell phone picture of them. We need to weed, and finish building the walkway around them. Hope everyone else had a good hop turnout this year too!

Green thumb 177429_908968255021_2043525167_o
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 am

Mt Hood is up now too! Hooray! 3 for 3 this year.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 pm

New rhizomes Willamette and Sterling poked their way through the dirt over the weekend. Waiting on Mt Hood yet.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Green thumb Empty Hops

Post  Jon Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Hallertau, Tettnang, Cascade, Liberty, Willamette and Brewer's Choice. The Cascade are great for dry-hopping!
Jon
Jon
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  schmidty_nd Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Ryan,

You just keep going overboard at the rhizome swap! That ends up helping the economy in the eastern part of the state. Laughing

I have my fingers crossed that both you and Randi have very green thumbs this spring! Wink
schmidty_nd
schmidty_nd
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 am

I've never had luck with any cascades. They just don't want to join the party I guess.

We've got a 3yr Brewers Gold and 3yr Magnum. I think if I let it, the Brewers Gold would take over the whole deck! It's a really good producer. The Magnum does well too, but its not quite as vigorous.

We're going to try our luck with some Willamettes, Sterlings, and Mt Hoods this year. No more than that though, I think we're all out of trellis.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

I agree with the little to zero attention! I have Fuggle and Centennial that are about 5 yrs old, Liberty and Cascade that are about 3 yrs old. Last year at our clubs rhizome swap I went a bit overboard... so now I have Goldings, Tettnanger, Hallertau, Nugget... two others that I can't come up with off the top of my head.

Schmidty, If the rest of these all come up, I'm going to need some new markers! Smile
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  schmidty_nd Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:09 am

I have one each of Hallertau and Cascade. I got them a little late last spring, and then they spent most of the summer in pots. So, neither one did well enough to produce. But they both had some good growth. Especially the Cascade. From everything I've read, Cascades are one of the hardiest. I guess we'll see how they do this year, their first year in the ground.
schmidty_nd
schmidty_nd
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  r@fink Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 am

I have two varieties. Cascade and northern brewer. They were planted around 1995 and grow like weeds with zero to no attention.

Last edited by r@fink on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
r@fink
r@fink
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Green thumb Empty Green thumb

Post  randi philleo Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Just curious, who's got hops growing in their yard? What kind? Are you planting any this year?

People always ask me what the best variety is to plant in ND. I usually reply with "Whatever kind you want to brew with." I don't know if it's true, but I've had some so called hardy hops not come up and ones that I expected to be fairly low yield just take over my deck.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum