NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling

4 posters

Go down

How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling Empty Re: How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling

Post  dkwandt Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm

for the cooperation i agree they suck ass, and thier beer tastes bad. have you tried to choke down budwiesers ale? it is just bud heavy in a new bottle.

but thier brewers, are some of the best.
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling Empty Re: How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling

Post  TylerS Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:49 pm

OK, hurting probably is a stretch, but it definitely seems like they're at least nervous.

Granted, anyone who can brew millions of gallons and the first beer tastes exactly the same as the last has got to have some skill. But I've lost all respect for corporate organizations who would stoop so low as to sue a relatively small craft brewery like Dogfish Head, stating their Punk'in Ale and Chickory Stout were "too generic of names." Really, Budweiser? And Golden Wheat isn't?! Makes a person ill...
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Dealer Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:58 pm

wrong forum

Last edited by Beer Dealer on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Beer Dealer
Beer Dealer
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  dkwandt Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am

Hurting NO, they are fine, but yes they see the Craft explosion and want some.

do not for get these ARE some of the BEST brewers in the world, I Guarantee they can brew a beer to knock your socks off. but their amazing accomplishment is making every beer taste the same (granted they remove the flavor), but if you tack flavors away now every little things stands out that much more. i think they are amazing, beer taste like shit, but it tastes like the same shit anywhere in the world whether refrigerated the whole time or sitting on a dock in the Amazon for a month.

the big thing is they will just buy interest in a smaller company to get in on it. Bud owns part of Goose Island, they make kick ass craft beer. they were caught off guard in America. look at England and Germany now though, they are trying to brew beer like the big 3 (which is fine let the best beer in the world, and the worst (big 3) come from America)
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

I actually had a dream last night about those stupid vortex bottles. Someone gave me one to try and it was super hard to drink out of. It kept splashing all over the place. Then I gave up and said "I'm not going to drink this crap, and if it's that big of a deal, pour the darn beer in a glass!" Not even kidding you.

Weird dreams aside, I have noticed something interesting across the generations of beer drinkers. My friends are more likely to try a different beer than people my parents age. Maybe these commercial companies are trying to tap into the younger market.

I doubt the big guys are hurting. They still hold an unreal percentage of the market. I'm sure by releasing those "specialty" beers they are hoping to grab some new drinkers and get their brand known.

I'd be curious to know if the price increase on garbage beer is due to necessity or if its just a ploy to get their brands off the bottom shelf. You know, so they can show off their "triple hopped" brews.

randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling Empty How we know the "Big Guys" are struggling

Post  TylerS Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 am

It came to me like a vision after listening to a radio commercial: believe it or not, the "big guy" breweries are struggling.

Don't believe me? Consider all the "innovations" we've witnessed lately, designed to reel in folks like myself who are abandoning ship in favor of craft brews. For example:

• Wide-mouth cans with "vents" so the beer comes out faster.
  • Labels that change color so you know when the beer is cold.
  • Windows on beer cases, so you can see said labels.
  • Channeling the wine-in-a-box craze to have "tap fresh" beer right in you fridge.
  • Putting a new spin in bottles with Miller's "vortex" neck so the beer swirls in your mouth for...uh...added excitement, maybe? I have no clue...
Then also consider that big beers are desperately trying to tap into the craft brew craze. Bud's "Wheat Beer" and "Bud Light Lime." Coors' "Blue Moon" (though you wouldn't know it because there is no mention of Coors on the label). Miller and Michelob both have come out with seasonal or chains of beer, designed to make us believe they're serious about quality instead of quantity.

All that, and they recently upped their prices from $17-$18 for a 24 back to $21-$22. Sure, they could be just catching up with inflation, but I think they're starting to feel the pinch. The gap is getting smaller as more people realize beer ACTUALLY can taste GOOD.

So what are your thoughts? Now, I'm not saying the big guys are going to be closing their doors anytime soon. That likely never will happen. But I'm thinking their age of complete monopolization is coming to an end. We're seeing the dawn of a new era, one that is building speed as we speak. I'm excited to see what the future holds as far as home brewing and craft brews!

So what are your thoughts? Any other "gimmicks" I've failed to mention? Do you think the big brews are playing catch up because they're hurting, or they're just trying to keep up with what customers want?
TylerS
TylerS
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down