NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IPA Recipe Development

4 posters

Go down

IPA Recipe Development  Empty Re: IPA Recipe Development

Post  dkwandt Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm

i agree with ryan 100% maris otter is probably my favorite base grain, i will choose it over all most any two row, unless i need a really light color!

i don't think you will be dissapointed! if you need someone else to taste it when done, i offer my pallet! lol!
dkwandt
dkwandt
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I was really pleasantly surprised with the flavor of the Maris Otter (I often chew on grain while getting ready for the brew). I might have to start keeping more of it on hand.

Here's to hoping it turns out okay. Everything went well except for the finicky march pump... I gotta fix that darn thing. I'll post what comes of it all and we'll see if I convert to the hop-side.

randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57 pm

I use a ton of Maris Otter. It goes in just about everything I brew but especially well suited for the IPA's and Barleywine's I make. For me it just tends to give a little more character to the malt rather than just using a standard 2-row malt. You can get away with only Maris Otter in a pale ale or IPA without the need to add other specialties where 2-row would fall a little short. IMHO.

I'm very curious to see how you like your IPA. I really tend to devour any IPA I have on hand and find myself wishing I brewed more! Keep us posted.

Ryan
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Post  randi philleo Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 am

Brewed it yesterday. I went with the Maris Otter.

I think that'll be a good backbone for the Bravo, Sorachi, and Cascade.

Here's to hoping I like my own IPA.
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Dealer Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:55 am

It seems everything i read on IPA's is not to use cheaper 2 row...pearle or UK 2 row and maris otter is what most that iive choosen . from what i read....i use pearle in one of my recipes and maris otter in the ryepa...on my first batch on my new system my temps went very high and my beer is kinda sweet but with hops so is drinkable ..finished at 1.030
Beer Dealer
Beer Dealer
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

IPA Recipe Development  Empty IPA Recipe Development

Post  randi philleo Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm working on an IPA recipe... and well, I'm not a huge IPA fan, but I'd like to think if the right one comes along, I might be.

Has anyone used Bravo hops? There's not a lot of information regarding them since they were released only a few years ago. Bravo is supposed to be an excellent bittering hop that provides pleasant fruity and floral aroma characteristics. If anyone else has had experience with it, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

My other debate is my base malt choice. I haven't nailed one down yet. Anyone have a tried and true base malt suggestion for a good ol' American IPA?
randi philleo
randi philleo
Hoppy Heralder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down