NDBrewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigger Hoppy AAA

2 posters

Go down

Bigger Hoppy AAA Empty Re: Bigger Hoppy AAA

Post  johnpreuss Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 pm

ryanjilek wrote:Sure sounds good John. Keep us posted. On you barley crusher did you go finer than the preset markings? Do you know what gap you are getting. I have the same mill and to get good extract efficiency I usually end up with quite a bit of flour out of it. I've not had stuck mash issues but it just seems as though there is a bit more flour than usual. Do you use a drill on your crusher?

Ryan

Not sure on the gap but the dials are @ 11 & 1. I am using a drill. My low setting runs at 500 rpm which is the recommended speed I believe - don't quote me on that tho.
johnpreuss
johnpreuss
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  ryanjilek Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 am

Sure sounds good John. Keep us posted. On you barley crusher did you go finer than the preset markings? Do you know what gap you are getting. I have the same mill and to get good extract efficiency I usually end up with quite a bit of flour out of it. I've not had stuck mash issues but it just seems as though there is a bit more flour than usual. Do you use a drill on your crusher?

Ryan
ryanjilek
ryanjilek
Cask Collaborator

Back to top Go down

Bigger Hoppy AAA Empty Bigger Hoppy AAA

Post  johnpreuss Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:06 am

Brewed this up last week... can't wait to see how it comes out!!!

7 gallon Batch
42-49 IBU depending on what program you use
OG 1.061

10 lb 2 Row
1.5 lb Munich
1.0 lb Biscuit
1.0 lb Crystal 80L
.5 lb Crystal 20L

8 AAU Northern Brewer 60min
5.4 AAU Perle 30 min
6 AAU Centenial 10 min
1.5 oz Cascade 2 min

Fermented with a fresh packet of S-04

I was only getting around 65% efficiency on the last couple brews so I dialed down my barley crusher and got almost 80%!!!

I also thought I'd get aleast another .5 gallon boil off but I'm happy with where it came in at.
Bigger Hoppy AAA 435954
johnpreuss
johnpreuss
Barley Posting

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down